Saturday, January 19, 2008

Movie Set Inspriation

I once told my husband that I love chick flicks because they are about "cute people, living in cute houses, doing cute things". I will never live that statement down. But it is true. I actually love to watch movies that give me ideas about interior design, hairstyles, fashion, and anything stylish.

My book club recently watched the movie, "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants". (Yes we are an incredibly intellectual group of women and our discussions are very deep and meaningful.) We all fell in love with one of the homes on the set.
Love those windows! I really like the layout of that bathroom. It looks like they packed a lot of style into a small space.

Last year I went to see the movie, The Holiday, with my mom and sister. I was immediately inspired by the Hollywood house. I whispered to my sister in the theater. "I love this house, there is no clutter. How does she keep it so clean?" Emily looked at me and pointed out the obvious, "It's a movie set". DUH.

But what I actually loved was the clean lines, and fresh no fuss approach to design. Sometimes I get too carried away with patterns and colors to really appreciate something for just being the right shape or proportion.


I Love the hood and want to copy it exactly.


It is kind of hard to see the fireplace in the back but I have one really similar in the kitchen eating area of my house. I have wondered what to do with it - maybe even cover it up. But after seeing this photo- maybe I will just leave it open. That looks great! I love that kitchen.



Another movie that had a great set was Somethings Gotta Give. Apparently I am not the only one who found the beautiful Hampton home inspiring. There was a funny article in the Washington Post about how people got obsessed with that house. I guess these crazy people rented the DVD just to pause it on thier laptops and save the still images. Who would do that???? Coincidentally, the two movies have the same director. I guess she has really good taste. If you want to see pictures of that movie set, check out the blog Surroundings.

Let me know if you have seen any great movies lately. Or should I say any "cute" ones.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails