Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Energy

It is true...if you need a lift... help someone else. I have been feeling really down about my house lately. It seems that there are a million projects left before it will feel complete. And I haven't known where to begin with the furniture purchasing. Do I by a dining room set, new couches for the family room, chairs for the living room, a bedroom set, a flat screen for the basement? I can't afford to do all at once and I need to save up for just one of those things anyway. What! I am out of money? There is a recession? Cancer? ugggg.

So I have been rattling around my house mentally braking down with every consideration. Finally, something clicked and I have started making progress. That something was a morning I spent with a friend who was going through the same thing. She purchased a beautiful home about a year ago and (like me) wanted to clean the slate and purchase all new furniture and accessories. She made several great purchases but once the economy stopped so did she. The assignment was to help her use what she had on hand to finish decorating her home. In the beginning, I was skeptical. How would she feel about hanging pictures that she didn't like? But as we progressed I remembered that finishing a room felt really good, even if it wasn't perfect. There were pictures on the walls, towels in the bathrooms, accessories on the night stands. It felt complete and it was inspiring to put our heads together to find new uses for old objects.

So I came home and started looking around. I mean really looking around and I came up with some pretty good ideas using the stuff that I have. Once my brain was going in that direction it kept going. My poor husband has been hanging stuff all weekend. In addition, I broke down and bought a couple more used pieces of furniture to get me through for a while. It feels really good to be out of the rut and seeing possibilities again.

I was reminded of my favorite poem by Emily Dickinson

I dwell in Possibility--
A fairer House than Prose--
More numerous of Windows--
Superior--for Doors--

Of Chambers as the Cedars--
Impregnable of Eye--
And for an Everlasting Roof
The Gambrels of the Sky--

Of Visitors--the fairest--
For Occupation--This--
The spreading wide my narrow Hands
To gather Paradise--


This gets me motivated every time I read it.

3 comments:

Amy Smith said...

I have always been inspired by your ability to take things and make them into something special, as if it's purpose was to be just where you put it.

I am sure your adventure in decorating will be pulled off perfectly and no one who sees it will think you wanted something else there. Unless you tell them of course ;)

Jen said...

You inspire me.I don't think I have ever met someone who is so optamistic! Thanks for your courage and joy. I admire you so much and I know so many of us look to you and smile. You have a way of making our lives seem on track. Thanks!

Melissa J. said...

thanks for this post. This method of "New Energy", I decided; of using what you have to create something new, is a great one to get us through the winters of our lives, literal, and figurative. i, of course agree with the others. you are an inspiration! you make us all feel a little better about life. and i will be happy to provide a space for your inspiration as often as you need. i liked the poem. i think i should find a creative way to display it in the bedroom downstairs. thanks again!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails